Tuesday 7 April 2015

Mom? Me?

August 14, 2004

Mom? Me?

Becoming a mom was an exciting and scary prospect. I was thrilled to finally welcome this new little being who would someday refer to me as mommy, yet completely frightened at the same time. How would I juggle being a mom and being "me." Can it actually be possible to be a mom and have your own sense of individuality? Your average "expert" would a resounding "YES!" But I mean, here, in reality, on planet earth. Could it happen? And how?
The truth actually is yes. What it requires is the ability to accept your new life.
Once my son was born the fear subsided. I quickly learned being a mom and being me is one and the same. It's just a new me. I do all the things I used to do, just with a new flavor.

A verse from the poem "Years" by W.S. Merwin captures it perfectly...
"Like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stiched with its color."
The "it" is my son, and everything I do on my own is laced with a wonderful, vibrant new color thanks to him. I'm talking jibberish, aren't I.
It's makes sense to me. And probably to any other parent who's experienced the same feelings.
For new moms looking for some help on how to meld the old with the new, check out the class described in today's Ashland Daily Tidings. Your local mother's group is also a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment